I am a licensed psychologist and have worked with cancer patients, survivors, and their families for over 15 years. I received my masters and doctoral degrees in Clinical Health Psychology from the University of Kansas in 1998, with an emphasis in Psycho-oncology -- the study and practice of the psychosocial aspects of cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship. I completed my internship and post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Florida, Department of Clinical & Health Psychology, and Department of Medicine, respectively.
For 10 years, I was a Research Assistant Professor at the University of Florida Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology, doing research to better understand the impact of cancer and cancer survivorship on the quality of life of survivors and family caregivers. I also developed and tested interventions for family caregivers to maximize their coping, resilience, and self-care in the face of their loved-one's cancer.
In 2009, I started a private practice in order to focus on direct care of patients and family members, helping them to maximize the quality of their lives. I continue my affiliation with the University of Florida as an courtesy professor.
Clinical & Health Psychologist (private practice)
Haile Market Therapy and Behavioral Medicine
Research Assistant Professor (courtesy)
University of Florida
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology/Oncology
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Community Health
Consultant, BeTheMatch – National Marrow Donor Program, Office of Patient Advocacy, Minnesota, MN
BeTheMatch Caregiver Companion Program
Vassar College A.B. (1990) Cognitive Science
University of Kansas M.A. (1994) Clinical Psychology (Health & Rehabilitation Specialty)
Ph.D. (1998) Clinical Psychology (Health & Rehabilitation Specialty)
University of Florida Intern (1996-1997) Medical Psychology
Sr. Intern (1997-1998) Medical Psychology
Fellow (1999-2000) Psycho-oncology
License, Certifications & Awards
• Licensed Psychologist, State of Florida, #PY 6140; January 2000-present
Letter of Commendation for Original and Independent Research,
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke,
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 1992.
Outstanding Young Woman of America Award, Outstanding Young Americans,
McLean, VA, 1997.
· Travel Award, Tandem BMT Meeting, Keystone, CO, 2003.
· Travel Award, Tandem BMT Meeting, Orlando, FL, 2004.
Mortimer M. Bortin Award for Outstanding Clinical Research, Tandem BMT Meeting,
Orlando, FL, 2004.
· Junior Faculty Research Award, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, 2006.
· Meritorious Abstract Award, Cancer Survivorship Research Conference, Atlanta, GA, 2008.
• Skill Building in Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL; 2001
· Member, Medical Advisory Board, National Bone Marrow Transplant Link, 2010-present.
· Member, National Marrow Donor Program, Survivorship Working Group,
Patient Advocacy in Cellular Transplant Therapy, 2008-2009.
· Member, Health Research and Services Administration (HRSA) Advisory Council on
Blood Stem Cell Transplantation, 2007-2009;
Chair of the Working Group on Confidentiality, 2007-2008;
Member of the Working Group on Informed consent, 2008-2009.
· Reviewer, National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP),
National Cancer Institute (NCI), 2007-2009.
· Member, Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network,
Late effects and Quality of Life Committee, 2006-2009.
· Member, Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR):
Late Effects/QOL Working Committee, 2000-2009.
· Member, End of Life Interdisciplinary Curriculum Committee, University of Florida, 2006-2009.
· Member, Cancer Resource Connections group,
1991-present American Psychological Association (APA);
APA Division 38 -- Health Psychology;
APA Division42 – Psychologists in Independent Practice
1993-2008 Society for Behavioral Medicine (SBM); Cancer Special Interest Group
2004-2010 American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT)
2010-present Florida Psychological Association, North Central Florida Chapter.